Thursday, August 2, 2012

Losing Patients with Society {All You Need Is Love}


Losing patients with society

I am very upset today for reasons everyone can relate with one way or another. I hope that this is the last time I think of this issue, or talk of this issue, for awhile.  The issue I speak of is regarding the institution of chicken and God. Yes, you know what I am referring to.  

This is a rather hot topic, and I by no means write this entry in attempt to stir up controversy, but to speak from my heart with all the fairness I can give to both parties.

The owner of chicken and God has every right to state his opinion of gay marriage, I agree.  It’s kind of humorous that someone would ask him this question in the first place. My good friend, Erin stated, “What do you expect the answer to be when asked, “Do you believe in gay marriage” to a devout Christian who owns a business that is closed on Sundays?” I agree, absolutely. That’s setting the stage for controversy.

However obvious the answer was, I feel as if openly discussing this controversial topic has indeed formed a separation between those for and against this civil liberty (ahem). This, I do not blame on the owner of chicken and God whatsoever. It’s the reporter looking to stir the pot, and guess what? You’ve made your news story. Bravo.

I have to say, I love the food at chicken and God like most people who’ve had the opportunity to eat there. The service is excellent and the employees appear to be genuinely happy. And the sauce; don’t get me started on the sauce… However, there are consequences to every action that is openly stated by someone of great power and influence. Though what the owner said was not wrong (by his moral views), it has brought many people out of the woodworks who are not just supporting his right to have this opinion, or to support his Christian values, but those who have been hiding behind a veil of hate; those who have been waiting for this moment to make others of non-traditional families feel isolated and practitioners of sin.

It’s brought out the ugly in people.

The rally yesterday was my breaking point. Not only were the unyielding Spacebook statuses and pictures an annoyance, but a slap in the face to brothers and sisters of the human race.  The endless lines that wrapped around chicken and God were seen as unwavering middle fingers to those of non-traditional families. The one “safe” time that people against equality had the chance to voice their opinion. Yes, you have the right not to believe in gay marriage, but to openly display this opinion was a sign of lacking discernment (another term from my dear Christian friend, Erin).

 I too lacked discernment for a short while in my absolute rage from this action. I also fired back on Spacebook for those who openly stated their support for chicken and God. It is fine that you have your opinion, but I don’t want to see their logo on my feed. For example, I do not believe in abortion, but if I put that on my feed and you strongly disagreed, would you be happy? I don’t think so. I respect my friends enough to be mindful of their feelings. I also respect them enough to not judge them for their decision. Getting back to my lack of discernment, for that, I am mildly ashamed. I am ashamed that I stooped to that level of judgment, or lack thereof. I find it to be a hurtful and offensive towards amazing families and individuals, who happen to be gay, that I’ve come to know or know of. I hurt for the mommies in my Ds community of little Eli that just passed yesterday. I hurt of Jaidin’s mommies because they are excellent parents to that little boy. Jaidin too, has Ds. They do more for his care and wellbeing than many traditional families.

I am not saying that those who agree with the owner of chicken and God are people of hate – not at all. But the message that action has made to those who are not like them was heartbreakingly unnecessary. I just hope that priest, pastors, and other with similar power do not acknowledge the rally this Sunday as an act of honor. There is no honor in rallying against a fellow human being, regardless of if you agree with them or not.

 People fear what is different. People fear what is not in accordance to their religious belief.  The unknown can be scary for some. I get it. But, we’re in a world filled with people who are different. Does that make who they are bad? Not at all.

To tie this into the purpose of my blog, it made me not only think of the numerous people I personally know who are gay, but also Wes. Wes is different too.  Even before the understanding of my son’s diagnosis, I was a lover of all mankind. I may not have understood it, or relate personally, but who am I to judge what is right and wrong?  This act, this rally, to those who participated was a sign of solidarity. A sign that they support what chicken and God stands for. However, to those on the outside it was seen as a thick concrete wall erected to further segregate humankind.

Can’t we all just get along? Can't we all just love one another for our differences?





No comments:

Post a Comment