Thursday, August 2, 2012

Physical Therapy Phun #1

We've been working on physical therapy for awhile with Wes, but until recently it hasn't been anything "crazy".  For those of you with infants with Ds, or any infant for that fact, here are some exercises that we've learned from our PT and the Gross Motor Skills for Children with Down Syndrome book that are worth checking out. There are also other PT exercises we do for his neck, but that is to loosen mild tightness due to the old way in which we fed Wes.

Yay! It's therapy time! Therapy time is fun (when it's with mom and dad) because we get to play!


During therapy, Mommy started holding my arms under my body because tummy time became really tough for me. So tough, that I starting to fall asleep. I don't know - I can't remember? Anyway, the book told her that it was a good idea to hold my arms to increase my strength.



When Mommy let's my arms go, I tumble over like a tree!


Uh-oh!

Yikes!

Another thing Mommy and Daddy like to do is sit me on the couch. The move my bootie so it touches the back, though I try and scooch down when they're not looking. (I don't really like sitting up yet.) Daddy read that this helps me strengthen my core and my neck at the same time! In this picture, Daddy is making funny faces at me so that I look up at him and don't drop my chin.


Daddy, you're so funny!


Can we stop now?

The best part of therapy is getting kisses from Mom and Dad. They want me to know how awesome I am doing!


The next therapy that we do is side lying. I don't like this too much when I do it on the floor on blankets. This feels pretty good on the couch! My parents want me to reach out to them or to a toy... I personally prefer to eat Percy's face off.



Finally we do shoulder lifts. Some parents like to pull their babies by the arms and  lift them up, but I need to build up strength first. Mommy says that Hypotonia stinks like a dirty diaper. I don't know what Hypotonia is, but I'd rather not smell it!



Mommy and Daddy say that they're so proud of me every time I do therapy. It makes me feel special. I love it when they say, "Yay, Wessie!" It makes me feel like a rock star!



To thank my parents for therapy, I quickly messed my diaper and the goods went up my back, down my legs and into my toes. I even peed on Mommy! (Shh! So funny!) At least I got a bath! Boy, I love baths!

Until next time!
XOXO Wessie Poo (literally!)

8 comments:

  1. LOVE the Wessie commentary :). My favorite post so far! LOVE all the pics! Especially when hes smiling and laughing! Melts my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Love reading his thoughts on things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your posts! I just had a baby in July who was diagnosed with Down Stndrome after birth. We love him dearly but are trying to adjust to his reality. Thanks for making us smile amidst the negative comments we've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always cheer on Rylan very loudly I might add when he does something. He started cruising recently and we cheer him on our PT was the one who suggested it and he gets the biggest smile on his face when we do. Goooooooooooooooooo Wes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, his pictures are so adorable, Mommy. :) There are three primary physical problems that affect Down syndrome patients: “floppy” muscle tone, which is also known as hypotonia; decreased strength; and hypermobility of the joints. These three issues need to be monitored and evaluated by a physical therapist so they can be treated properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wes receives Physical Therapy on a regular basis by an EI in home Physical Therapist - we support her work by doing it at home. He is already showing great improvement! Little man has even improved from this post - he can sit up by us "pulling" his arms and keep his head in line. I believe that it's important to follow her plan for Wes, plus we do a little extra stuff that any parent would do with their kid.

      Delete
  6. Hi there! It’s great to know that Wes is really getting the most out of his physical therapy sessions. It simply proves that PT is indeed helpful for child’s physical development. Wes looks adorable on his Halloween photo, by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww... Wes is so adorable! Wes, just continue your physical therapy with mom and dad and you'll sure grow strong and healthy. You're doing such a good job. Keep it up! More laughters and happy moment with your parents! Way to go, Wes!
    Lonnie Letellier @ U.S. Health Works Medical Group

    ReplyDelete