Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tongue thrust is driving me bonkers! Help!

Ok, so Wes has started spoon feeding at about 4 months old. It wasn't until recently that Wes has really had tongue thrust issues while feeding. I've done everything I can think of and I can really use some Ds momma interventions!

Oral Motor Exercises:

I'm using these techniques that I found off of the Speech Mama: Down Syndrome page...


I am also doing what my ST suggests which is using the Nuk nubby brush and working on the tongue, cheeks, gums, and lips, as well as the palate massage and taps.

IDK - should I just stick with one?


Spoon Feeding Technique:

I do this:

 


 


 

The above pictures belong to Lila's mom Latricia. I do not know her blog, but I borrowed these from The Speech Mama for a visual.

Then the little booger STICKS HIS TONGUE OUT!

Then, I try feeding him putting the spoon straight into his mouth. That seems to work better, but my son loves his tongue more than anything.

I mean it! He grabs it, talks with it out, etc! This is all super new!

Look!










*Sigh*

I have a video as well! Once I can get Google+ to stop force closing on my phone, I will be able to upload it.

Again, help!

What have you done that's worked?




1 comment:

  1. Just keep at it. Have you tried a mesh feeder? My guy loves this- you can put frozen or fresh fruit in. Helps with strength, texture, sensation. Also great for teething.

    ReplyDelete