Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Anti-social social experiment

I woke up this morning and thought to myself, "Self, I am sick of Facebook."

For real, I said that.

Honestly, I woke up thinking of the weeks of political rants, passive aggressive Facebook "likes" for either party and straight up obnoxiousness. Then yesterday I tried to have a little fun with facebook friends by replacing the word "vote/ voting/ voter" for "fart/ farting/ farter" on some status updates (on my wall) for a little kicks and giggles. All in good fun. In my good fun I apparently offended someone. 

I was flabbergasted.

Flabbergasted because it's politics. It's not our kids being called the "R-word" or saying something about race, gender and/ or stereotypes.

I said the word FART!

This someone is part of the Down syndrome community that I became "friends"  out of obligation.  


Seriously, it's like, "Hey, our kids have Down syndrome, so we must be friends!"


Yea, right. It's like being friends with someone because they have the same hair color as you. It's a racket, I tell you.

So let's just call it as it is. My friends are my friends because I call, text, email them. Oh wait, and I see them in person. I associate myself with people who have similar values and that's just that. If you don't believe in evolution or can't laugh at a political goofiness in good fun, I really have no interest in furthering a friendship. Sound rude? Well then don't be friends with me.

By the way, did you know I have 340 friends? {sarcasm}

I guarantee that I am a nice person, but I am really not as tolerant as I try to be. My mouth filter is starting to break and I don't want to be "that person". So, my lack of tolerance is leading me to my anti-social experiment.

By the end of the week my Facebook will be deactivated {literally} until December 15th{ish} - willing I decide to come back. I am sure there are those of you who really don't care, and that's fine. We're just not close.

However, if you are interested in the real me - follow me on Blogger. You don't need to be a blogger to do so. You can get email updates and communicate with me via comments. 

If you have my #, text me :)

If you have my email, email me :)

I am on Instagram at adrijoy83 {I can't quit all social media!}

 I really value my friends and Facebook has made it too easy to take them for granted.

"Fun Fact": I have been on Facebook everyday (unless on a cruise) since 2004 when Facebook was only available to college students. We had to request our school to be added!

2 comments:

  1. This whole politics thing has gotten so out of hand. I had to delete and block my husband's cousin on FB because she kept sending me messages and even posting on my wall about voting for Obama (which I did of my own volition) and telling my friends to do so too. It seems lots of people have been driven from FB because of it. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to simply delete people that you just don't need in your life. If they are getting bent out of shape over "fart" (which I thought was hilarious when a friend of mine did it!), good luck with the tough stuff in life. I'm not your "friend" on FB, but if I were, I would have been laughing along with you. Enjoy your time away from FB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Facebook is out of control. When I first started it, it was to meet new people at my college and keep in touch with high school friends that were at other colleges. Once Facebook opened up to the world, it got crazy. I have so many "friends" that guaranteed I am going to offend someone who doesn't really know me. I am such a social person, so this anti-social social experiment is going to be really hard to do. I love to share, and Facebook is a quick and easy way of doing it. I guess it's the narcissism that comes with Facebook.

      Delete