Tuesday, November 6, 2012

May I interrupt Election Day for a sec?

Apparently there's an election going on today.

*crickets*

So, to "lighten" the mood, let's talk about the man of the blog...

Well, today we got some fabulous news...

The results of the upper barium swallow study shows that Wes no longer aspirates! Woot! So that means no more xanthan gum bottles! If you haven't had xanthan gum, let me tell you - it's foul. It's like a science experiment in Wes' bottles. Slimy, icky, sticky... you should see what comes out - Oye!   The best part is if I get a job, I will not have to spend ridiculous amounts of time preparing bottles every night. Pfew!{I will write the thickening recipe below if needed}

Wes also had his initial visit with the Trisomy 21 Center at CHOP. Basically, John and I are doing everything right! Wes is developing beautifully and shows few delays. Any delays are pretty minor and he will get there no matter what. The only thing we really need to do is set up OT.

Ok - now back to your election coverage.

BTW, if you think I'M sensitive about my son, you should see some people with this election. All I can say is, "Wow".


"Simply Thick" Recipe - 6 oz formula bottle

Honey Thick - 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
Nectar Thick - 1/4(i.e. 2/8) to 3/8 tsp Xanthan Gum.

Heat water in microwave safe dish for 30-45 seconds. This will be hot, but it is necessary to make the Xanthan Gum a thick consistency. Whisk in Xanthan Gum vigorously until gelled. Add 3 scoops formula. There will be bubbles, so if you can, let it sit before feeding. Use Y-cut nipple.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome news!! That has to be quite a relief to not have to prep that stuff anymore. Congrats Mr. Wes and Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gawsh... tell me about it!

      He seems to be doing great with the nectar thick, but getting really grouchy since it doesn't come out of the nipple as fast. (I had to cut a regular nipple to accommodate - Y cut is too fast, regular is too slow)

      Delete