Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ignorant innocent comments {suck}

Some days I feel so fragile.

Now that Wes is here I have become even more protective of him when comments are made, whether intentional or not. And to be honest with you, most people just don't think. Only one person has made a personal attack on my son and other friend's children in the Down syndrome community {so far}. Fortunately for her, this spineless woman lives on the internet, no where near me or my friends. If she did, she'd be regretting her behavior.

Take today for example... I went to my OB for my 6 week appointment. {This may be a little TMI, especially for family, but it's necessary to share as part of my story.} I was speaking with the manager at the office about getting ParaGard, the copper IUD, since I would prefer not to have another baby for a few years just so Wes can have time to be the only child. I told her a funny story about how my friend, no matter what she's on, gets pregnant. This particular friend also had an IUD {which is 99.5% effective}and it didn't work... number 4 is on the way {Irish twins!}

In any event, she shared the story how she was also on bc when she found out that she was expecting number 4. "I may tear up, but it was like she was meant to be! I couldn't imagine my life without her."

I thought I was safe to share... I'm so naive.

"I feel the same way about my little boy. He was born with Down syndrome. The year before we decided to start having children, I continually took my bc without a break. I feel like I saved him, and he was meant for us."

Here it comes...

"You knew and you decided to keep him?"

How do you answer that??

What I wanted to answer, "Yea BI, I did. Want to ask me that again!?" {Picture me with an iron grip on the front of her shirt - nose to nose.}

What I said, "Yes, he's my son. He's wonderful and I couldn't have asked for a more sweet and wonderful baby. He is everything to me." {almost in a begging tone to say, "Please, love my son. Please don't judge him. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me."}

I tried to let it go, and outwardly I did.

But it's eating me inside.

It's so painful to hear that.

Like my friend who consistently says "I'm a retard" and "That's retarded" around me. I even got it in a text the other day. Yea.

That really eats me inside.

When I started working with kids, and kid with needs, I stopped saying ignorant comments because they're hurtful. It's like me saying Nigger in front of my friends who are black. Even writing that word sends shivers down my spine because it's so inappropriate, and I'm sure it caught some of you off guard. {Let me clarify that I wrote this as an example to show you how saying the word "retard" sounds to people who have loved ones who are intellectually disabled - and yes, it is the same. Discrimination against someone who cannot change who they are is discrimination.}

I'm no angel; I have said terrible stuff in the past. I still say terrible stuff at times in anger, but it's not in a social setting or towards someone who is already fragile. No one is perfect, and I get it. We're human and it's human nature to judge those who you may feel as unworthy or less than you. I guess it's a way of making us, with all of our innate human flaws, feel better about ourselves.

It's sick, right?


Here's my challenge to you.

Next time you may find yourself about to make an ignorant comment or use inappropriate adjectives, stop, think, and picture this little face and say...

You're a retard. 

Did that make you feel bad? 

I hope so.







7 comments:

  1. Nice blog! I can't say I understand how you feel as I don't have a child with ds, but being so close to my friend Heidi and Miss Liddy Bug I can def understand your frustration! I can't understand how ppl can just be so rude, I mean really? I have the utmost respect for anyone with a special needs child or adult for that matter, they are just like any of the rest of us. They were put on this planet with a purpose and darn it they will see it thru! I would love to adopt a lil one with ds in the future if we have the money, the love these children have is beyond measure. I would love to give one of them the opportunity to have a wonderful life outside of a foster home or save them from having to endure an institution!! Of course it will be awhile we are raising 4 on one income right now, but it is always in my heart. Your lil Wes is an angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Summer. I hear ya with wanting more kids and being on one income! I hope some day you are able to adopt. Check your state foster care/ adoption system. The costs are no where near foreign adoption and in my state, the foster care system will help pay the cost of adopting when you foster. Recently in the past two months there was a young boy with Down syndrome on "Wednesday's Child" in the Philadelphia area. I wanted to take that little man in so bad, but we're not ready to adopt at this time. His name is Raymear and he's 13. Here's the link for him (http://wednesdayschild.adopt.org/node/1591) Spread the word if you know of anyone looking to adopt a child with Down syndrome!

      Delete
  2. You son is adorable and will bring lots of joy in your life. Enjoy him. You might have challenges to face but his sweet smiles will melt you.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had one of those moments yet, but I completely understand you dwelling on what she said. No doubt you've probably thought of a million different witty responses since to make her eat her words! My MIL recently said something completely harmless but it completely shattered my little love bubble and I thought about it for days. I don't want to have to develop a 'thick skin' but maybe it's inevitable. Wes is AWESOME and gorgeous and WE are the lucky ones to have such gorgeous kids. They don't know what they're missing out on, not being in our secret club ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly how I feel about it - a love bubble. I really sucks when someone invades the sanctity of that space you share with your child, either with their inappropriate filler words or comments. I know that thick skin is inevitable, but internally there will always be those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a precious gift from God and in His eyes, your baby is perfect. God bless you as you raise and love this little angel.

    ReplyDelete